Wednesday, January 30, 2013

More Fun in the Cold and Snow

Last Saturday January 26th was a cold and windy day but it was also clear so I wanted to do something outside.but wasn't up to a long drive.  I decided on a hike fairly close to home that makes a 7 or 8 mile loop using the Appalachian Trail in the 100 Mile Wilderness.  The trail starts to a fairly popular spot on the AT called Little Wilson Falls which is one of the highest waterfalls along the entire AT.  Some others had the same idea as the trail was well pack with snowshoes.  Beyond the falls though I headed north on the AT and was breaking snow the rest of the way.  This hike isn't particularly difficult but it is remote and not many people hike beyond the falls. Since it is wooded the wind wasn't too bad despite single digit temperatures.  Windchills were in the negative teens out of the woods. I didn't see another person until I got back to my car.  It was my first longish snowshoe hike since last March so it was nice change from all the cross country skiing I have been doing.
Little Wilson Falls frozen in winter

Little Wilson Falls when not frozen

Following the AT in unbroken snow up some ledges in 100 Mile Wilderness

The icy results of hiking in single digit temps



No comments:

Post a Comment